Friday, June 18, 2010

When SLEEP becomes a productive activity!

What a busy couple of weeks!

I've been done with work for two weeks yet me schedule hasn't slowed down until yesterday.

Immediately after work was done we began a 10 game stretch of games. Most of which were at least 2 hours away.

I am often surprised by people not in athletics. Coaching is more than just showing up for a game. For example. If I have a game starting at 5 in Rapid City. It means that I'm unlocking the clubhouse at 12:30 and pulling out with my team at 1:00.

A two hour trip has us at the field at 3:00, two hours of batting practice and pregame prep means the game starts at 5:00. A typical double header at this level last's about 5 1/2 hours including your break between games. That means at the soonest games end at 10:30. After a post game wrap, and guys loading up to leave, we're usually on the road by 11:00. Now wait a minute... it's 11:00 PM... I've had the guys since 12:30. They haven't eaten anything since they left their house... HELLO TACO BELL!

YUCK.

After a thirty minute stop, we're off! Putting us into the clubhouse at about 1:30. Figure 15-30 minutes to unload and wait for the last guys folks to show up and I start home at about 2:00.

That means I've had the guys for about 13 1/2 hours.

Don't forget... I live 30 minutes south of Gillette. Hopefully I'm in bed at 2:45.

Ah... you think I sleep till 11 and start the whole thing over don't you?!

Class for my M.A. start at 8. Crap. I'm usually up at 6:30.

They continue until I leave... for the next road trip.

Home games aren't much better. I usually don't leave the field until 2-3 hours after the contest is complete. Of course I've only had 6 home games (3 dates).

Lately, my biggest need is sleep. Trying to recover from pnuemonia, be a dad, be a husband, be a student, and be a coach has had it's moments over the last few weeks!

Thank goodness for TBC. Or something like that.

I am in the middle of my only five day break from baseball. The guys are 19-11 and we're just beginning to play to our ability level. We've beaten several very mid-level varsity's over our last stretch. I've enjoyed working with them!

On another note... Samantha is growing quickly. She's put on 15 lbs since the beginning and is rapidly growing especially over the last 4 weeks. The Dr. triple checked her numbers. Looks like we're in for another big 'un.

I am now announcing my prediction for the baby. It will be 21" and low 9 lbs... like 9# 3oz or somewhere close to that.

Today we set up the tent and the kids and I will sleep out there tonight... for whatever reason pregnant Sammy has declined invitation. Hmm?

No comments: