Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finally something worth reading!

It's been a few months since I've had a good book in front of my face, soon I'll have several!

I believe the last book was William Craigs' "Enemy at the Gates" which was later, in part, turned into a movie. I always liked the movie, until I read the book, the movie does little to capture the true events of the war itself.

I have always been a fan of books on war, human survival, and events that changed history.

I have been a big fan of Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks "Band of Brother's" HBO mini-series. I have purchased several books written by Stephen E. Ambrose on the particular struggles of the unit and have read some of the books written by the men themselves.

The two have joined forces again for a new mini-series titled "The Pacific" many have said that it is incredibly realistic and is equal to the B of B. Tonight I watched a production flick on the movie and was introduced to two of the books that they have credited with helping with the plot of the series.

The first, Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie is a first person account of the war and is supposed to be one of the top reads on the war.

The other, With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge is another first person account of the war. It has some ridiculous reviews from some very outstanding individuals.

With those two purchases I also made two more purchases! (I had to get the free super saver shipping!)

I picked up Undaunted Courage : Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West by Stephen E. Ambrose. Ambrose is one of my favorite authors, however the topic is a little different than my usual read. This book was recommended by my boss as a book I should read. We'll see how it turns out!

Last but not least is The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War by James Bradley. Bradley is indeed my favorite author. He penned "Flags of Our Father's" and "Flyboys" both are must reads. This book takes a very different twist and may change my perspective on Bradley. The book cover's T. Roosevelt era U.S. involvement in Asia. Teddy Roosevelt is my favorite President, however the book blames a great deal of his policies on an eventual Japanese aggression in Asia and Pearl Harbor. We'll see how it turns out.

I'll have plenty of time to get through these books during the spring and summer on some VERY long road trips for baseball. Looking forward to it!

No comments: