Sunday, November 22, 2009

A little learning and a little R & R

What a beautiful spot to have an education conference! This is a short walk down the beach from Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, California. Pacific Grove is nestled on the ocean 75 miles south of San Fransisco and next to Monterey, California as well as Pebble Beach California (which is well known for the world class golf course that hosts PGA and several other popular events).

I flew out around 6:30 am Thursday and flew back into Gillette at 10:30 pm Saturday evening. The other District APE teacher also went to the Conference. We had a great time and even learned a few things while we were there!

Although it was a National Conference there was only about 110 teachers there, well less than the 500 that apparently attend on a yearly basis. The conference center itself was first established around 1900 and has grown to numerous large rustic style buildings. The setting was quaint, however the accommodations were ok at best. Considering the price the district paid to send us on the trip, I believe it was a good deal for us to learn and share knowledge back and forth with colleagues.

Thursday evening included a key note and socializing. Friday morning and afternoon were filled with sessions and provided me with some excellent ideas to implement in the future. Around 5:30 or so I called a cab and Becki and I headed into Monterey for a little sea food at Bubba Gump's on Cannery Row. This was probably my fourth or fifth trip to Gump's as Mall of America has one that we frequented on occasion. After the meal we did a little shopping for our families and enjoyed the night life for a few hours.


Cannery Row made the trip worth it for me! There were a lot of neat shop's and the temp was in the mid 50's. I really enjoyed the experience!


Just a short walk down the board walk and plenty visible from my room was the beach. I was disappointed as the water was even colder than Lake superior! There were constant waves ranging from 4-8 feet... I'm not sure swimming would have been a great idea!


Well this trip wasn't on my dime, however Samantha and I depart for Las Vegas in a week from Friday. It will be Samantha's first time in Sin City and my third. We're looking forward to taking in the sites!

Yes, there are things to do in Vegas besides gamble!

We're booked to watch Brooks and Dunn at a small venue. We're meeting up with Eric and Estalita Slivoskey. Slivo and I made it out to Vegas about two years ago and had said at that point that we wanted to bring our wives out for the concert should we ever get the chance. Now with B & D retiring we decided we couldn't wait to long! We hope to do another show while in Vegas, and although we'll be there for 3 1/2 days I'm not sure that we will fit in everything we would like to do!

We're both very excited as it will be our Christmas gift! Aundrea and Tristan will spend the time with Grandma, I think she's kind of happy about that as she leaves a week later for El Salvador.

3 comments:

Maleko Mela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maleko Mela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maleko Mela said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.