Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Movie Time

Perhaps one of my favorite things is watching a good movie. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that a good movie basically allows me to completely shut off my brain for around a two hour segment of the day and be entertained be our tv or local movie theatre. It's basically an opportunity to live without distraction as I am entertained by others, in their world.

I indulged in many cinematic wonders in 2011. Absolutely I saw more movies in the theatre than any previous years. I saw some great movies and some stinkers... like "Cowboys and Aliens" and yes that movie was as dumb as its name. Cowboys don't belong with Aliens.

Over break I actually went to the theatre on three occasions for movie enjoyment. I saw "Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows", "TinTin", and "War Horse". All three were exceptional. I took the kids to watch TinTin and they were glued to the movie throughout. However, I would not list it as simply a childrens movie, in fact, I had the only kids their for that particular showing.

War Horse was another exceptional movie. I don't recall ever crying during a movie. This one brought me close on MANY occasions. Oddly enough TinTin and War Horse were directed by Spielberg. I guess that's why he's the best.

My favorites for 2011 in Movies:
1. Captain America
1a. War Horse
2. True Grit
3. Tin Tin
4. Sherlock
5. Limitless
6. Larry Crowne
7. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
8. Thor
9. Transformers
10. Gnomeo and Juliet
11. Cars 2
12. Mr. Poppers Penguins
13. The Green Hornet

The stinkers were:
1. Cowboys and Aliens
2. Tower Heist
3. Green Lantern
4. Hall Pass

Wow. I'm shocked that I watched this many movies. These are just what I saw in the theatre. There are absolutely more movies that I liked over didn't like, which is a good thing!

This coming years movies look to be pretty good. I'm excited about "The Avengers", "Batman" and "Red Tails". I'm always up for a good movie!

Unfortunately Samantha is a little different than me, she'd prefer to hit Applebee's at about 9:05 drink a margarita and eat appetizers (usually mozz sticks)... of course now that she's pregnant again that won't be happening for a while!

With Samantha's lack of movie appetite and my enjoyment, I usually end up watching movies by myself. Of the 17 movies I watched in 2011, I saw 6 by myself, 5 with Samantha, 4 with one or both (or more, including the Slivoskey kids and Mr. Poppers) of my oldest kids, and 2 with my dad.

I guess I need a life!

No comments: